Makeup by Mario Bronze Soft Glow HighlighterMakeup by Mario Bronze Soft Glow Highlighter ($28.00 for 0.16 oz.) is a medium copper with warm undertones and warmer, lighter golden copper shimmer throughout that gave it an intense, metallic finish. This shade didn’t have high sparkle content, but it seemed to have slightly larger shimmer throughout, which gave it a more visible shimmer when applied and blended out to my skin–this resulted in less of a smoothing effect. It didn’t seem to emphasize my skin’s natural texture, but it was closer to doing so than the other shades.
It had rich color coverage in a single layer, and the firmer, denser texture made it easy to use a lighter hand to pick up less product to achieve sheerer coverage if desired, it was more pigmentation than marketed. The texture was almost emollient to the touch, so very smooth and had glide without being powdery at all. This shade lasted well for eight hours before fading a bit.
for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Sydney Grace Picture Perfect (P, $9.00) is more shimmery, darker (95% similar).
- The Estee Edit Ray (LE, ) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Huda Beauty Aruba (PiP, ) is darker (95% similar).
- BH Cosmetics Carli Bybel Deluxe Edition #20 (LE, ) is more shimmery, cooler (95% similar).
- Makeup Geek Ignite (P, $20.00) is more shimmery, darker (95% similar).
- Looxi Beauty Divine (P, $7.50) is more shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- Becca Chocolate Geode (P, $38.00) is cooler (90% similar).
- MAC Paradise (PiP, ) is more shimmery, lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Hourglass Bronze Flash (P, $42.00) is less shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- ColourPop Losing Sleep (PiP, $8.00) is more shimmery (90% similar).
$28.00/0.16 oz. – $175.00 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to highlight while “smooth[ing] the appearance of your skin” with an “ultra-silky” texture that “blends effortlessly.” The collection this formula launched in was touted as having all buildable formulas, though I’d say that the highlighter formula was more semi-opaque to opaque for the most part.
It was easy to use a lighter hand as the texture was denser and firmer (without being stiff), so there were no issues controlling how much product was picked up. The product felt incredibly smooth and almost cream-like–as if it were emollient to the touch–which helped the highlighter “melt” onto skin after five minutes or so.
Some shades were smoother and more luminous than others; a few yielded a more intense glow that seemed just shy of emphasizing my skin’s natural texture. They all applied evenly and blended out with very little effort. Most of the shades wore well for eight hours on me.
Browse all of our Makeup by Mario Soft Glow Highlighter swatches.
Talc, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Isostearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Tin Oxide, Chlorphenesin, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol May Contain/Peut Contenir (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Manganese Violet (Ci 77742).
Disclaimer: Ingredient lists are as available by the brand (or retailer)
at the time of publishing. Please always check product packaging, if it exists, for the ingredient list applicable
to the product you’re purchasing, or the brand or retailer’s website for the most up-to-date ingredient list.