According to People magazine, citing a source, the answer is: they’re paying for it themselves.
“All security costs are being personally covered by the couple,” the source told the outlet.
The outlet reported that Prince Charles will also continue to offer help with some of the couple’s finances.
Senior royals have been provided with special taxpayer-funded security force from the Metropolitan Police, but the two no longer were considered to be senior royals. Their website previously explained that the Queen “mandated” their security.
Upon their reported move from Canada to Los Angeles last week, security costs again came into question, but President Trump quickly asserted on Twitter that “the U.S. will not pay for their security protection.”
“I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!” Trump wrote Sunday.
However, on Monday, a spokesperson for Markle, 38, and Harry, 35, told Fox News that they “have no plans to ask the U.S. government for security resources,” explaining that “privately funded security arrangements have been made.”